Tuesday, 06 FEB 2018

Meeting of the Board of Directors and Committee Chairs

Date: 2018-02-06

Location: Via conference bridge

Start Time: 20:05 UTC

Present:

  • Eli Scher, Chair

  • Aaron Hughes, Vice-Chair

  • Matt Griswold, Secretary

  • Corey Gallon, Treasurer

  • Rob DeVita, Director

  • Frank Rey, Director

  • Aiste Buinauskaite, Executive Director (minute taker)

  • Richard Wolfram, Open-IX legal counsel

  • Mona Weisberg, Co-Chair Marketing Committee

  • Jim Grady, Chair Data Center Committee

  • Chris Grundemann, Chair BCOP Committee

 

Absent:

  • Sagi Brody, Director (excused)

  • Carla Sanderson, Co-Chair Marketing Committee (excused)

  • Chris Phillips, Chair IX Group Committee (excused)

  • Eric Ballard, Vice-Chair IX Group Committee (excused)

 

Minutes of the meeting:

  1. The Chair called the meeting to order at 20:05 UTC

  2. Adoption of Meeting Minutes 2018-01-23

It was moved by Matt Griswold, and seconded by Aaron Hughes, that:

“The Open-IX Board adopts the January 23rd, 2018 Meeting Minutes, as written.”

The motion carried with no objections.

  1. Committee Updates (led by the Chair)

    1. Data Center (led by Jim Grady)

      1. Pipeline review and updates on meetings at PTC

      2. Accounts receivables review

      3. Robert DeVita stated that he would like to see DC Committee and IX Committee to come back with a better process for renewals, and to have auto renew language in the contracts.

    2. Marketing (led by Mona Weisberg)

      1. Mona stated that Open-IX members had a meeting at PTC with a marketing firm, and are awaiting a proposal.

      2. Mona discussed plaques and different options for them and what the organization should engrave on them. Robert stated that previous plaques had the entity’s name on them. Eli suggested that a board members signature is not necessary, but he sees value in having a certification plaque in his conference room.  Aiste Buinauskaite stated that if we could get the blank plaques sorted by ITW, she could go to the local shop and get them personalized there based on who will need one. Robert agreed with this plan. Marketing will make a proposal for pricing.

      3. Upcoming events discussion, Mona stated that she will propose a budget for ITW, and will ask Jillfrances to make a couple of electronic flyers regarding the conferences where an Open-IX representative will be.

      4. Mona asked if there are plans to revamp the website, and Aiste stated that a few members are not happy with the website software service provider, however right now there is no budget or resources allocated to migrate to a different provider.

      5. Mona discussed individual membership and payment, or auto renew options. Corey Gallon asked if the org has a managed list of individual members and is it maintained. Mona stated that we should take a look at the current list, and expired list, and reach out to expired list. Mona stated that with the dissolvement of Membership Committee, the Marketing Committee will discuss how to manage membership lists. Corey Gallon stated that he would like to learn how the accounts receivable looks for individual membership and also will discuss and evaluate efforts to reach out to expired members.

      6. Mona concluded by stating she is recruiting another person to the Marketing Committee, and that new member Lisa Lee is now engaging in the committee therefore the committee is now in good shape and stronger.

      7. Robert DeVita asked Mona if she needs any approvals from the board regarding marketing OIX presence at conferences. The org agreed that we should send out a mailer same as for PTC as it had generated interest for conference attendees to learn about Open-IX.

    3. Standards (led by Chris Grundemann)

      1. Chris stated that they had a few meetings with the new members of the committee, and they are in the process of selecting a topic for BCOP that they will work on. Once they decide on the topic the committee will draft an email to the NANOG mailing list for some expert input, and will start writing a few documents under the Open-IX umbrella.  

  2. Bylaws review. (Chair to lead)

    1. Eli asked if there are any further comments/changes to propose regarding the bylaws.

    2. Corey Gallon asked if his  suggestion via email which was to add a dual provision for quorum such that we can meet with a minority of the board but need a majority of the board for “major decisions” was added to the bylaws. Aiste asked Corey to email the group with the language, and suggested that Aaron will add it to the draft document. Aaron agreed he could add this for us.

    3. Eli asked again to everyone read the bylaws so that we could close this off next meeting.

  3. Open action items (led by the Chair)

    1. Accounts receivables and invoice pipeline review

  4. Any other business (led by the Chair)

    1. Finance and accounting contracts

      1. Corey Gallon gave an update that he books have not been meaningfully maintained, and his first action item as Treasurer is to get them tidy. Corey weighted proposals from a couple of accounting firms and has chosen a firm to work with to get the financial reporting up to date. The accounting firm will work with Corey to have a clear charter of accounts, determine the best way to report financials to the board,  and fill out 1099 tax forms for which they have already filed an extension. Corey suggested that this firm should also prepare our tax filing for 2017.

      2. Corey stated that he had a call with Aiste, and they have decided that Aiste can keep the books and reconcile accounts on a monthly basis.

      3. Corey concluded that with the accounting firm working on Quickbooks to reconcile back to the bank, then recommending the chart of accounts structure, Corey then will sit with Aiste and talk through workflow and process how the books will be kept, and therefore Corey and Aiste will be able to provide financial reporting both informally on a management basis and formally to the board. Corey suggested to do a formal reporting to the board quarterly, and he suggests that the accounting firm can do that cost effectively.

      4. Corey summarized the financial proposal and plan as follows:

        1. Proposal $800: the accounting firm will review and advise us on our bank account reconciliation, that they will file 1099-MISC forms for 2017, that they will advise a chart of accounts structure, and they would also advise on design and creation of a reporting package.

        2. Proposal $1500: They would file our 2017 taxes.

        3. Proposal $3500: The accounting firm will provide us ongoing the financial statement compilation on quarterly basis, that we can share with membership and formally present to the board.

      5. The board members on the call expressed appreciation for Corey’s immediate efforts as Treasurer.

    2. Adoption of accounting proposals

It was moved by Corey Gallon and second by Aaron Hughes that:

“Open-IX engages with subject accounting firm and accepts their proposals”

The motion carried with no objections.

 

  1. Meeting adjourned at 21:05 UTC