Tuesday, 06 MAR 2018

Meeting of the Board of Directors and Committee Chairs

Date: 2018-03-06

Location: Via conference bridge

Start Time: 20:05 UTC

Present:

  • Eli Scher, Chair

  • Matt Griswold, Secretary

  • Corey Gallon, Treasurer

  • Rob DeVita, Director

  • Aiste Buinauskaite, Executive Director (minute taker)

  • Richard Wolfram, Open-IX legal counsel

  • Carla Sanderson, Co-Chair Marketing Committee

  • Jim Grady, Chair Data Center Committee

  • Chris Grundemann, Chair BCOP Committee

 

Absent:

  • Sagi Brody, Director (excused)

  • Frank Rey, Director  (excused)

  • Aaron Hughes, Vice-Chair (excused)

  • Mona Weisberg, Co-Chair Marketing Committee  (excused)

  • Eric Ballard, Vice-Chair IX Group Committee (excused)

 

Minutes of the meeting:

  1. The Chair called the meeting to order at 20:04 UTC

  2. Adoption of Meeting Minutes 2018-02-06

It was moved by Robert DeVita, and seconded by Corey Gallon, that:

“The Open-IX Board adopts the February 6th, 2018 Meeting Minutes, as written.”

The motion carried with no objections.

  1. Committee Updates (led by the Chair)

    1. Data Center (led by Jim Grady)

      1. Pipeline review and updates on meetings

      2. Accounts receivables review

      3. Robert DeVita stated that he would like to see DC Committee and IX Committee to come back with a better process for renewals, and to have auto renew language in the contracts.

    2. Marketing (led by Carla Sanderson)

      1. Carla sked the Board if they had the chance to look over the marketing firm proposal. Corey asked if there is a deadline for this proposal decision. Carla suggested that if needed this can wait and be discussed at the face to face meeting in Dallas, and Eli agreed with this.

      2. Carla asked if the Board wanted to have a sponsored presence at ITW, and if there was a budget allocated for this.  Eli answered that ITW would be prohibitively expensive to do on our own, therefore it is a pass, however Eli suggested that we can do something light such as cocktail hour.

  2. IX (Lead by Matt Griswold)

    1. Matt stated that volunteers are needed in the Data Center and IX Committees. He suggested the Org pushes through the ANSI Certification, and then focuses on inviting skillful people to volunteer more personally than just emailing the members list.

    2. Aiste Buinauskaite suggested that the org should reach out to influential people in the industry and ask for their feedback and suggestions more regularly, especially people that support Open-IX and share its vision.

    3. Corey stated that one of the primary outcome of the face to face session is allining and articulating a strategy and then messaging for it. Corey stated that it is really good that we as an org are getting this preliminary thinking and feedback on this, and that we should really spend some time between now and the face to face in Dallas, and each of us get some thoughts arranged to share with the rest of the group, so that we can shape and align on that strategy that defines very specifically what the value proposition is,  and then working on a marketing strategy around that to help execute it.

    4. Corey and Matt suggested to hold off calling for volunteers until after the face to face org meeting.

  3. Standards (led by Chris Grundemann)

      1. Discussion of changes that are needed to be made to the Document Development Process in order to conform with the ANSI submission.  

  4. Bylaws review. (Chair to lead)

    1. Eli asked if there are any further comments/changes to propose regarding the bylaws, and there were none other than the ones already drafted

    2. Eli suggested we approve the bylaws to go out for membership comment at the face to face meeting in Dallas on March 23rd, 2018.

  5. Open action items (led by the Chair)

    1. Corey updated that that the org had fallen out of status with the state of Delaware; however Aiste Buinauskaite paid the fees that were owed to the state before the call, and this is now taken care of.

    2. Corey stated that we are actively  engaged with the accounting firm, and that Corey, Aiste and the firm, collaboratively completed reconciliation of accounts and gathering of the necessary documents such as all financial statements and W9s. The target for completion is two weeks, which it will give the org enough time to review and report formally to this group during our face to face meeting.

    3. Corey updated that he is currently working on updating all the insurance policies for the org, and is waiting on quotes from the insurance agency.

    4. Aiste stated that she would like a board member to help her prefill the insurance applications, as some of the questions are extensive, and Eli agreed to help.

    5. Corey suggested at face to face we should determine of what level and frequency of financial reporting the Board wants, and then implement it and distribute it.

  6. Any other business (led by the Chair)

    1. Face to face in Dallas March 23rd.

      1. Eli clarified that the meeting should consist of all board members, and one representative or Chair of each OIX Committee.

      2. Hotel: Robert Devita stated that he is physically in Dallas and he will help facilitate block pricing for a hotel. Matt stated that after the venue is picked, the hotel cost approval limit should be the price of the block pricing sourced. The nights approved will be Thursday and Friday, March 22nd and 23rd.

      3. Agenda: Eli asked Aiste to send out draft agenda where everyone could voice their input to help shape it for the meeting.

      4. Corey stated that he had a call with Aiste, and they have decided that Aiste can keep the books and reconcile accounts on a monthly basis.

    2. ANSI application update.

  7. Meeting adjourned at 20:51 UTC