Tuesday, 09 JAN 2018

Meeting of the Board of Directors and Committee Chairs

Date: 2018-01-09

Location: Via conference bridge

Start Time: 20:00 UTC

Present:

  • Eli Scher, Chair

  • Aaron Hughes, Vice-Chair

  • Matt Griswold, Secretary

  • Corey Gallon, Treasury

  • Rob DeVita, Director

  • Sagi Brody, Director

  • Aiste Buinauskaite, Executive Director (minute taker)

  • Mona Weisberg, Co-Chair Marketing Committee

  • Richard Wolfram, Open-IX legal counsel

  • Eric Ballard, Vice-Chair IX Group Committee

 

Absent:

  • Frank Rey, Director (excused)

  • Carla Sanderson, Co-Chair Marketing Committee (excused)

  • Chris Grundemann, Chair BCOP Committee (excused)

  • Chris Phillips, Chair IX Group Committee (excused)

  • Jim Grady, Chair Data Center Committee (excused)

 

Minutes of the meeting:

 

  1. Election of Officers (led by Aaron Hughes)

Aaron Hughes welcomed everyone to the first meeting of 2018, and welcomed new Board members Corey Gallon and Frank Rey.

    1. Chair: Aaron Hughes called for nominations. Eli Scher nominated himself. Aaron Hughes called for any further nominations. Sagi Brody nominated Aaron Hughes. There were no further nominations. Aaron Hughes stated that he would prefer Eli Scher to serve as chair, and Aaron could serve as Vice-Chair. Aaron Hughes takes voice votes and the motion carries through with no objections and abstentions. Aaron Hughes announced Eli Scher as the new Chair.

    2. Vice Chair: Aaron Hughes called for nominations. Matt Griswold nominated Aaron Hughes, Eli seconded this. Aaron stated he is willing to serve as Vice-Chair. Aaron Hughes takes voice votes and the motion carries through with no objections and abstentions. Aaron Hughes announced himself as new Vice-Chair.

    3. Secretary: Aaron Hughes called for nominations. Matt Griswold nominated himself and Robert DeVida seconded. Aaron Hughes called for any further nominations. There were no further nominations. Aaron Hughes takes voice votes and the motion carries through with no objections and abstentions. Aaron Hughes announced Matt Griswold as the new Secretary.

    4. Treasury: Aaron Hughes called for nominations. Eli Scher nominated Corey Gallon and Matt Griswold seconded. Aaron Hughes called for any further nominations. There were no further nominations. Aaron Hughes asked if Corey Gallon is willing to serve as Treasury. Corey Gallon stated he accepts the nomination. Aaron Hughes takes voice votes and the motion carries through with no objections and abstentions. Aaron Hughes announced Corey Gallon as the new Treasurer.
       

  1. The Chair called the meeting to order at 20:21 UTC

  2. Welcome & Agenda Review

    1. Eli Scher welcomed everyone to the first meeting of the year.

  3. Thanking outgoing board members

    1. It was moved by Aaron Hughes, and seconded by Matt Griswold, that:

“The Open-IX Board thanks Dave Temkin and Vinay Negpal for their outstanding service to the Open-IX Board and Community.”

The motion carried unanimously.

  1. Adoption of Meeting Minutes 2017-12-19

It was moved by Aaron Hughes, and seconded by Matt Griswold, that:

“The Open-IX Board adopts the December 19th, 2017 Meeting Minutes, as written.”

The motion carried with one abstention.

  1. Committee Updates (Chair to lead)

    1. Datacenter (Sagi Brody to lead)

      1. Sagi stated that Jim Grady will be Chair of Data Center Committee starting 2018.

      2. Pipeline review

      3. Future crosswalks update

    2. IX (Eric Ballard to lead)

      1. No update

    3. Marketing (Mona Weisberg to lead)

      1. Mona stated that Pacific Telecommunications Council electronic digital media flyer was posted on social channels.

      2. A meeting with social marketing vendor is scheduled to take place at PTC.

      3. Mona stated that the Marketing Committee will update the website with the current board member positions.

      4. Mona stated that members of the Marketing Committee will continue to serve the org, and also introduced Lisa Lee as a new member to the Marketing Committee.

  2. Any other business. (Chair to lead)

    1. Bylaws review

      1. Reminder that changes will be put to vote at the next meeting.

      2. Aaron summarized changes he proposed to bylaws and  asks that everyone read the bylaws by next meeting. Some changes proposed:

        1. Quorum to be changed to 51%.

        2. Requirement to meet in person to be twice per fiscal year instead of 4 times.

    2. Audit

      1. Eli Scher stated that there has been a request to get the books audited. Eli reached out to an auditor who is currently working with the org as well as another firm. Eli has requested proposals from both of firms for a few different plans and tax preparations.

      2. Corey Gallon stated that an audit would be helpful and important as well as the board to be properly informed of the financial situation of the org.  

      3. Corey Gallon asked Aaron Hughes if there are any financial reporting requirements, and the reply was that there is none.

      4. Aaron suggested that post audit the board could write a financial controls policy. Corey agreed that this is important and good to do.

    3. ANSI

      1. Richard Wolfram updated the org where we are in the process of this application, and summarized the application process to inform the new board members.

    4. Strategic meeting

      1. Eli and Aaron will take this topic to email, and choose a venue & location with a few date options.

  3. Meeting adjourned at 21:01 UTC