Tuesday, 12 SEP 2017

Meeting of the Board of Directors and Committee Chairs

Date: 2017-09-12

Location: Via conference bridge

Start Time: 17:04 UTC

Present:

  • Matt Griswold, Director, Chair

  • Eli Scher, Director, Vice-Chair

  • Rob DeVita, Director

  • Vinay Nagpal, Director

  • Aiste Buinauskaite, Executive Director (minute taker)

  • Sagi Brody, Chair Data Center Committee

  • Chris Grundemann, Chair BCOP Committee

  • Chris Phillips, Chair IX Group Committee

  • Mona Weisberg, Co-Chair Marketing Committee

  • Richard Wolfram, Open-IX legal counsel

 

Absent:

  • Carla Sanderson, Co-Chair Marketing Committee (optional)

  • Eric Ballard, Vice-Chair IX Group Committee (optional)

  • Dave Temkin, Director, Treasurer (apology received)

  • Aaron Hughes, Director (no apology received)

 

Minutes of the meeting:

  1. The Chair called the meeting to order at 17:04 UTC

  2. Adoption of Meeting Minutes 2017-08-29

It was moved by Eli Scher, and seconded by Rob DeVita, that:

“The Open-IX Board adopts the August 29th, 2017 Meeting Minutes, as written.”

The motion carried with no objections.

  1. Committee Updates (led by the Chair)

    1. Data Center (led by Sagi Brody)

      1. Pipeline review

      2. Sagi updated that DC team is working on updating the resolution procedure, which will have to take into account confidentiality. Sagi stated that he asked the current complainant  for more detail and proof, but the complainant has not sent anything over yet.

      3. Sagi stated that HIPAA Crosswalk is a guide where customers of certified facilities can understand how they're demonstrating compliance. It will help certified organizations to help their end users, and with it we  can show that we're doing more to help with security and protection of people's information. Sagi suggested that we publish the HIPAA Crosswalk document on the website, also update the OIX-2 marketing materials to reflect added value. Sagi stated that a press release about it and maybe some media outreach to health care is the next steps.

      4. Sagi and Eli suggested that we should send out an email to members that we published this HIPAA guide and show where the public can find and read it. The board agreed that Sagi should do this.

      5. Sagi stated that Open iX is getting more enquiries from Europe than North America, and that HIPAA Crosswalk should help more with North America pipeline.

      6. Mona suggested that after we certify the next European entity, to do a press release addressing which parts of the world we have certifications in, or something that is more about organization and perhaps within a conjunction to the annual general meeting that is coming up. Eli and Matt agreed.

    2. IX (led by Chris Phillips)

      1. Chris Phillips suggested that this group is struggling to attract volunteers. He suggests we try harder to find new candidates at the coming up NANOG.

      2. Sagi stated that he would like to strengthen his committee as well and attract more effective talent.

      3. Matt suggested that it would be a good idea to sum up what we have done this year and use that to do a membership email or a PR and use that as a medium to ask for volunteers.

    3. Marketing (led by Mona Weisberg)

      1. Mona stated that the team is still contemplating on which style of plaques to get, and hopefully will come to a decision by the next meeting. Mona also believes that there should be some sort of more formal welcoming package and that the team will work on that this fall.

      2. Mona stated that there is DCAC eDM and suggested Rob DeVita share it on his LinkedIn since he is attending. The same will be done for DCD and shared on social media.

      3. Mona suggested that we should get a pop up banner for the upcoming conferences and as far as NANOG is concerned, we have enough time to put something together so that we will have a presence there.

    4. Standards (led by Chris Grundemann)

      1. Chris stated that he's got the draft call of volunteers ready and just wanted to run it by the board that it is okay to send it to NANOG mailing list as well as a few other lists, and then follow up with people at NANOG.

      2. DDP now posted on our website. Chris has put together a draft and is now in front of the marketing committee to help with getting it out the door.

  2. Open action items (led by the Chair)

    1. ITW- Mona stated that ITW folks had a few questions for the org to answer as well as we need to give some better direction on how big of an event we want to make. Robert DeVita suggested that it is most likely better to do this outside of ITW, as it is most likely a lot more cost effective. Matt agreed with this.

    2. Matt stated that Chinog is always the Thursday after ITW and that they have had really good luck with getting a few hundred people there and we can look at a joint venture with them. Mona agreed to contact Chinog organizers and get some information from them. Vinay suggested we look into the overflow hotels of ITW; Mona agreed and will look into it.

    3. Discussion about Annual General meeting. Aiste agreed to send out a poll to determine what time works best for everyone.  Richard reminded that the AGM has to be before December 1, 2017.

  3. Any other business. (led by the Chair)

    1. No any other business.

  4. Meeting adjourned at 17:42 UTC