Tuesday, 26 SEP 2017

Meeting of the Board of Directors and Committee Chairs

Date: 2017-09-26

Location: Via conference bridge

Start Time: 17:04 UTC

Present:

  • Eli Scher, Director, Vice-Chair

  • Vinay Nagpal, Director

  • Aaron Hughes, Director

  • Aiste Buinauskaite, Executive Director (minute taker)

  • Sagi Brody, Chair Data Center Committee

  • Chris Grundemann, Chair BCOP Committee

  • Chris Phillips, Chair IX Group Committee

  • Carla Sanderson, Co-Chair Marketing Committee

  • Richard Wolfram, Open-IX legal counsel

 

Absent:

  • Matt Griswold, Director, Chair (apology received)

  • Eric Ballard, Vice-Chair IX Group Committee (optional)

  • Dave Temkin, Director, Treasurer (apology received)

  • Rob DeVita, Director (apology received)

  • Mona Weisberg, Co-Chair Marketing Committee (apology received)

 

Minutes of the meeting:

  1. The Chair called the meeting to order at 17:06 UTC

  2. Adoption of Meeting Minutes 2017-09-12

It was moved by Aaron Hughes, and seconded by Vinay Nagpal, that:

“The Open-IX Board adopts the September 12th, 2017 Meeting Minutes, as written.”

The motion carried with no objections.

  1. Committee Updates (led by the Vice-Chair)

    1. Data Center (led by Sagi Brody)

      1. Sagi stated that HIPAA Compliance is complete and that he will be working with marketing towards a press release.

      2. Pipeline review

      3. Sagi stated that a gentleman named Samuel would like to get involved with the organization, therefore a call with Sagi, Mona and Samuel will be scheduled as Sagi thinks Marketing Committee might be the best fit for him.  

      4. Sagi suggested that Open-IX looks into certifying pre built data center containers.

      5. Sagi stated that Open IX really could use some updates to the website software to help automate the certification process. Sagi suggested that we really need a place where entities could upload their applications and automatically link to them. Another necessity is  automated expiration notices to notify people when the facility or network is going to expire. Aiste spoke up and said she will get Sagi in touch with Silkstart support.

    2. IX (led by Chris Phillips)

      1. Pipeline review

      2. Chris Phillips stated that this group is still struggling to attract volunteers. Eli suggested to have a call with Sagi’s suggested contact Samuel. Sagi agreed and will do the introduction.

      3. Sagi asked if there are any technical services that IX group can provide to the community, for example to do our own BGP and provide independent monitoring to the exchanges. Sagi stated that maybe people are looking for value and transparency in other ways than we currently offer. Sagi suggested maybe we could ask members if we can allocate some use of the Open-IX funds for building automation and monitoring, and to provide independent and neutral introspective on operations.

      4. Broadening IX to potential fabrics. To these interconnection fabrics. Would it fall under Open ix1 or would this need its own certifications. These are starting to proliferate faster than exchanges itself and this perhap it's an area for Open-IX to discuss in the future.

    3. Marketing (led by Carla Sanderson)

      1. Carla updated that the Mumbai CH OIX-1 Certification PR is published.

      2. Carla suggested that DDP and HIPAA PRs should be ready to go out next week.

      3. Carla asked if there was any update to the members regarding DDP or HIPAA. Chris will work on an update to members regarding DDP, and in the future Carla suggested it is a good idea to keep sending these updates to membership. Carla said with the IX Group struggling, there is definetly members in the membership group who operate IXs and work within IXs who would be willing to help. Aiste and Eli agreed.

      4. Carla asked if the date was decided for the AGM. Vinay stated that there was a doodle poll for that and asked for the results. Aiste stated that those who voted have chosen November 9th as the best date.

    4. Standards (led by Chris Grundemann)

      1. Chris stated that he is excited for the DDP PR to finally go out next week. He agreed to send out a note to members updating them of the DDP, and asking for volunteers at the same time.

      2. Chris updated that he sent out a call for volunteers to the old BCOP North America list and to the NANOG list and received a few leads already. Chris stated that he talked to folks at the Internet Society who are involved in  global BCOP efforts to help spread the word a little bit.

  2. Open action items (led by the Chair)

    1. Eli reminded that the general meeting will be on November 9th and that Aiste has agreed to sent out an update to stewards with the finalized date. Eli suggested to send out a notice to membership once we plan the meeting a bit more. We would need to call for volunteers nominating committee and volunteers for election.

    2. ANSI application process review (led by Richard)

    3. Richard Wolfram’s payment plan discussion for the ANSI application.

  3. Any other business. (led by the Vice-Chair)

    1. Richard reminded that the application for ANSI must be complete by January 1st.

  4. Meeting adjourned at 17:49 UTC